For the issuance of a passport to a minor it is mandatory to schedule an appointment through the Prenot@mi system, which must be confirmed by the user directly on the portal three to ten days before the scheduled date.
Please note that passports applications sent by mail will not be processed and will be mailed back to the sender. Passports applications can only be processed in person at the Consulate, provided that applicant has a scheduled appointment.
The presence of the child at the appointment is mandatory only if the minor is 12 or older. The minor must be accompanied by both parents with passports;
For passport issuance to a minor, you must:
- Be an Italian citizen
- Be registered in the AIRE with updated residential address in this consular district, which consists of: State of New York, State of Connecticut, State of New Jersey (limited to counties of Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, Union, Warren) and Bermuda Islands. To learn how to submit your AIRE registration or update your address, click here.
On the day of your appointment, you must come in person to the Passport Office with:
- form for applicants under 18 years of age duly filled out (Application Form);
- the parent who is unable to come to the Consulate in person must complete and sign the consent form, attaching a copy of their passport. If the absent parent is not an EU citizen, the signature on the consent form must be acknowledged by a Notary Public (click here for the form);
- 2 passport photos (recent, identical, measures 3,5 x 4,0 cm, white background, face front and centered, neutral expression);
- your previous Italian passport, unless it is the first passport, or in case of loss/theft. In that case, you must show another valid identification document;
- for minors in possession of Italian citizenship only, copy of entry visa or United States Permanent Resident Card (for Bermuda residents, copy of the parents’ Bermuda Work Permit Card or Permanent Resident Certificate);
- for dual citizens who are minors: a copy of U.S. passport (for Bermuda residents, copy of Bermudian passport);
- copy of parents’ passports;
- money order to be made out to Consulate General of Italy in New York. The cost for a passport is $126.60. For the updated cost of all the consular services please consult CONSULAR FEES. We do not accept cash, credit/debit cards or personal checks.
- a pre-paid “Priority Mail” envelope with “tracking number” (available only at U.S. Post Office) for the mailing of your new passport, completed with your address. The Consulate General declines any responsibility for the non-arrival or delayed arrival of your passport due to postal services;