In order to apply for a passport, it is mandatory to schedule an appointment through the Prenot@mi system, which must be confirmed by the user directly on the portal ten to three days prior to the scheduled date.
People over 75 years of age can also schedule appointments via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that passport applications sent by mail will not be processed and will be mailed back to the sender. Passports applications can only be processed in person at the Consulate, provided that applicant has a scheduled appointment.
For passport issuance, you must:
- Be an Italian citizen
- Be registered in the AIRE with updated residential address in this consular district, which consists of: State of New York, State of Connecticut, State of New Jersey (limited to the following counties: Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, Union, Warren) and Bermuda Islands. To learn how to submit your AIRE registration or update your address, click here.
What you need to apply for your Italian passport:
- form for applicants over 18 years of age duly filled out (Application Form);
- 2 passport photos (recent, identical, size 3.5 x 4.0 cm, white background, face front and centered, neutral expression);
- Your previous Italian passport, unless it is your first passport, or in the event of loss/theft. In that case, you must show another valid identification document;
- for applicants with Italian citizenship only, copy of United States Permanent Resident Card or entry visa (for Bermuda residents, copy of Bermuda Work Permit Card, Permanent Resident Certificate, Bermudian Status Certificate or Spouse of Bermudian Letter);
- copy of U.S. passport (all dual citizens) and copy of Certificate of Naturalization (only for dual citizens born in Italy); for Bermuda residents, copy of British Overseas Territories Citizens passport and copy of Certificate of Naturalization;
- a pre-paid Priority Mail envelope with “tracking number” (available only at U.S. Post Office) for the mailing of your new passport, completed with your address. The Consulate cannot be held responsible for the non-arrival or delayed arrival of your passport due to postal services;
- money order to be made out to Consulate General of Italy in New York. The cost for a passport is $126.30. For the updated cost of all the consular services please consult CONSULAR FEES. We do not accept cash, credit/debit cards or personal checks.