This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

General Information


General Information



The Schengen Visa is a visa issued by this Consulate, valid for a maximum of 90 days, which allows the visa holder to travel in all of the 26 European Countries that signed the Schengen Agreement, namely: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.
If you intend to visit one or more Schengen Countries in the course of a single trip, you must apply for a visa at the Consulate of the Country that is your main destination (i.e. where you will stay longer). If, in the course of your trip, you will spend an equal amount of time in different Countries, the visa MUST be requested at the Consulate of the Schengen Country port of entry.
Please note that the border authorities may refuse entry to a foreign national who does not meet all requirements.


The National Visa is a long term visa (over 90 days) issued by at the Italian Consulate for various purposes (elective residency, work, study, family reunion, diplomatic or military mission, adoption etc). This type of visa allows a foreign national, who is awaiting a residency permit in Italy, to move freely within any other Schengen Country for up to a maximum of 90 days within 6 months from the initial date of validity of the visa.
A foreign national who has been granted an Italian National Visa must report to the Questura (Central Police Station) within 8 working days from the date of entry to apply for a permesso di soggiorno (residence permit). Please note that failing to report to the Questura, might compromise your ability to legally reside in Italy.

The visa office operates by appointment only.
All applications must be submitted in person at the visa office.
Please, make sure to have all paperwork complete and in order before coming to the visa office to apply for the type of visa you wish to request.
Proof of residence/Jurisdiction
The visa office of the Consulate General of Italy in New York has jurisdiction to process visa applications ONLY for residents in New York, New Jersey (Counties of Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, Union, Warren) or Connecticut. Proof of residence can be established by submitting a copy of your State driver’s license, State ID, State income tax or last 3 months utility bills.

Travel document requirements
Before applying for your visa, make sure your travel document has a validity of at least 3 months beyond the last day of your trip in the Schengen Area and at least two empty ‘VISA’ pages.

Legal status in the U.S.
If you are not a U.S. citizen and you need to apply for a visa, you must provide a copy of the title that allows you to reside legally in the U.S. (U.S. long term visa with exclusion of B1/B2, U.S. permanent resident card, I-20, I-797, resident alien card). The title must have a validity of at least 3 months beyond the last day of your trip in the Schengen Area.

For Citizens of Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iraq: Citizens of Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iraq need to provide full names of mother and father and it must result from a birth certificate or Consular declaration.

Processing time
Processing time generally varies from 7 to 90 days depending on the type of visa and citizenship of the applicant. Please be aware that it is not possible to rush processing time because the system is completely automated. You must apply for a visa not earlier than 180 days before the date of departure. Visas are issued at the discretion of the Consulate upon fulfillments of all requirements provided by the Law.

Visa fee
Visa fees are payable only by money order.

Receiving your passport
Passports will be returned exclusively by mail. On the day of the appointment the applicant MUST bring a self-addressed, prepaid envelope (prepaid labels with a barcode or stamps + tracking number) and a photocopy of it. The Visa Office will accept only prepaid priority envelopes from the U.S. Postal Service (no FedEx, no UPS). Applicants for all visas must also present the Declaration for Mailing Passports duly filled out.

All documents must be presented in original. Please provide photocopy of passport and relevant pages, green card, driving license, I-20, Advanced Parole, as well as of those of the original documents that you wish to keep for yourselves.

Please note that you are entiltled to apply for a visa at the Consulate General of Italy in New York if:

Italy is your main destination;
You are visiting different Countries in the Schengen area, but Italy is the Country in the Schengen area where you will be spending most of the time (number of days);
You are visiting different Countries in the Schengen area, but you are spending an equal number of days in each Country, and Italy is your first port of entry in the Schengen area;

Applications which do not fulfill/provide ALL requirements will be rejected. Rejected applications will require a new appointment through the appointment system.

Complete applications must be submitted at least 15 days prior to departure date and cannot be processed earlier than 180 days BEFORE departure date.


We only accept applications from residents of the States of New York, Connecticut and the following New Jersey Counties: Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, Union, Warren.
Proof of residence: driving license or Resident State Income Tax.

Students enrolled full-time at a University located in our jurisdiction meet the residence requirement.

Please follow this link if you reside outside our jurisdiction: Italian Consular Offices in the US.


For minor applicants, the following certification is needed:

- original birth certificate (and one copu). Please note that all foreign (i.e. non US) documents must be translated into English and the translation legalized by the Italian Consular Authority in the Country that issued the certificate.

- a letter from both parents granting permission to travel and assuming financial responsibility for the entire trip. The autorization to travel must be signed by both parents and nees to be notarized by a US notary or, if the parents live abroad, by the Italian Consulate of their Country of residence. At leas one parent must be present at the Visa Office.

- Assumption of responsibility of an adult during the minor's trip to Italy duly notarized by a US or Italian notary.

Children under 12 do not need to appear personally.

All foreign documents MUST be translated into English and the translations legalized by the competent Consulate.

Declaration for Mailing Passports