This site uses technical, analytics and third-party cookies.
By continuing to browse, you accept the use of cookies.

Frequently asked questions

1. Do I have to apply in person or can I apply by mail?

All applicants are required to apply in person on the day of the appointment. The Visa Office of the Consulate of Italy in New York operates by appointment only.
Appointments must always be confirmed by the applicant, using the online portal Prenot@mi, 3 to 10 days prior to the scheduled appointment date.

2. How can I prove my residency in the Consular Jurisdiction?

You can provide any of the following documents: your driver’s license with up to date address; the last 3 months of utility bills; Federal State Income Tax Return.

Students enrolled in full time school programs in schools/universities located in the consular jurisdiction of the Consulate General of Italy in New York shell bring the current enrollment verifications.

3. Do I need to bring my original passport to applied for a visa?

Applicants must apply with an original valid passport. Passports must have a validity of 3 months after the date of return from the Schengen area and have at least 2 empty VISA pages for the visa sticker to be affixed and another blank page for entry stamps.

4. Do I need to bring a photo?

Yes. The applicant has to provide 1 recent (maximum 6 months old) passport size photo.

The photo must:

  • Show you looking directly at the camera (no half-face pictures);
  • Be a professionally taken picture, in high quality color and printed on photo-quality paper;
  • Show the applicant only (no other people or other objects in the background);

5. I am not a US citizen. How can I prove my legal immigration status in the United States?

  • Valid Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)
  • Long Term US visa (not B1/B2)

The above-mentioned documents must have a validity of 3 months beyond the last day of your return from the Schengen area

6. My US long term visa expires in less than 3 month and I have an advance parole document (form I-797) that extends the visa. Can I use it to apply for a Schengen visa?

I-797 form cannot be used instead of a valid visa. Applicants must have an Advance Parole stamp already in the passport at the time of the visa application.

7. I cannot get a national passport from my country of origin. Can I use the “US Permit to reenter” or the “US Refugee Travel Document” to travel to Italy?

Yes, you can. Before applying, check the expiration of the document. It should be valid for at least 3 months upon return from the Schengen area.

8. What copied of documents do I need to present at the time of the appointment?

  • Copy of the first page of passport with photo and personal data
  • Copy of latest Schengen Visa
  • Copy of proof of residence in the consulate jurisdiction
  • Copy of document proving the legal status in the United States
  • Copy of documentation in support of your specific visa (link a tipologie visto)

9. Can I pay with a personal check, credit card or debit card?

No. The visa fee is payable only by money order or certified bank check. Make the money order or certified bank check payable to: Consulate General of Italy. The fee must be paid at the time of the application, and is non-refundable REGARDLESS if the VISA is issued or not.

10. How long will it take to get my visa?

Normally it may take between 7 to 15 days depending on the applicant’s nationality and type of visa. National type visa processing time can take up to 90 days. Be advised that a rush fee is not applicable.

11. Can I check with you if my visa is ready?

Since the visa processing time is between 7 to 15 days, you can check the status only if this time has passed.

12. I hold a US Alien Registration Card. Do I still need to apply for a visa to enter Italy?

It depends on your nationality. Please check here

13. My child is a minor traveling with his/her school. What are the requirements?

For minor applicants (under 18 years), the following certification is needed:

  • A letter from both parents granting permission to travel and assuming financial responsibility for the entire trip. The authorization to travel must be signed by both parents who should appear in person at the New York Consulate or if they reside abroad have their signature notarized by the competent Italian Consulate Office;
  • Birth certificate, original or a notarized copy; (All foreign documents MUST be translated into English and the translations legalized by the competent Consulate);
  • At least one parent or the legal guardian must accompany the minor at the appointment.

14. Once I get my visa, am I guaranteed entry in the country?

The visa does not guarantee entry in the country. Further checks by Immigration Officers at the borders may lead to a rejection at the border. Travelers are advised to carry copies of documents submitted with visa application and to provide them to the Immigration Officers if requested.

15. Can I use my visa to make a side trip to another European country?

Yes, you can. According to the present regulations a Schengen Visa is also valid for the following countries: Austria, Belgium, The Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

16. My flight itinerary requires an overnight stay at an Italian airport. Do I have to apply for an airport transit visa or a tourist visa?

Citizens of certain nationalities may require an airport transit visa if they are planning a short stopover waiting a few hours for their flight within the airport’s international transit area. It is therefore advisable to check if you are required or not to have an airport transit visa.

However, if the layover is longer than a few hours you will have to exit the airport transit area. In this case, you will have to book one night at a nearby hotel and apply for a regular tourist visa.

17. I plan to visit my family or my friends in Italy and I cannot provide a hotel reservation. What should I do?

Your family or friends must fill out a host’s declaration. (link form). The completed host’s declaration is required along with a copy of the host’s ID (Permit of stay for non-European Union citizens) and can be sent directly to the applicant.

18. I have my own business and therefore cannot bring an employment letter. What documents should I submit?

You can provide your business registration, your latest tax return and a recent company’s bank statement to complete your application.

19. I am a student and the tourist visa requires proof of documentation of socio-professional standing, what should I bring?

You must bring a verification of enrollment provided by your school.

20. I am a US citizen. I am going to Italy to study for less than 90 days. Do I still need a visa?

NO. Please check if you need a visa click here

21. My wife and I are planning to travel together; I will provide my bank statement as proof of financial good standing, but my wife’s name is not mentioned in the bank account. What document should I provide with her application?

You must provide your spouse employment information (i.e. employment letter), pay stubs, joint income tax return or marriage certificate and an affidavit of financial support (link form) along with your most recent bank statements.

22. Why am I required to have health insurance coverage for Italy?

Schengen regulations require all applicants to have health insurance coverage before departing. This is necessary in case you have an accident during your stay in Italy or require hospitalization. Please check carefully whether your medical insurance will cover costs for medical treatment abroad (including emergency medical evacuation and repatriation of mortal remains). If it does not, you need to submit a health insurance covering your stay in Europe. If your US health insurance company provides coverage (including repatriation of mortal remains and emergency medical evacuation), you will need to provide a confirmation letter attesting the above-mentioned requirements.

  • 1-800-487-4722
  • Access America 1-866-807-3982
  • International Corporate Benefits Inc. 1-800-237-6615
  • International Medical Group 1-800-628-4664
  • International Travel Insurance & Emergency Evacuation Assistance 1 800 732 5309
  • Travelex

23. My passport has my maiden name and my Resident Alien Registration Card has my married name. What should I do?

You can provide a notarized copy of your marriage or divorce certificate.

24. I received my visa, and I noticed that my name is misspelled. What should I do?

You can bring or mail back the passport to have a correction made. Please include a cover letter specifying the name that has been misspelled and a prepaid express mail envelope to have of the passport mailed back.