This site uses technical, analytics and third-party cookies.
By continuing to browse, you accept the use of cookies.

Preferences cookies

Civil Unions

Civil Unions

Pursuant to and in accordance with art. 1 under the Law of 20 May 2016, n. 76, adopted by Decree of the President of the Council of Ministers of 23 July 2016, n. 144, in force since 29 July 2016, citizens of the same sex can enter into a civil union at the Consulate General. It is necessary that at least one of them has Italian citizenship and is resident in this consular jurisdiction.

It is recalled that parties to the civil union or marriage between persons of the same sex (at least one of them with Italian citizenship) contracted within US authorities in this consular jurisdiction, are required to transcribe the records of marriage or civil union among Italian municipalities of belonging through this consular Office.


If the compatriot residing in Italy wants to provide independently for the record of the act at his/her municipality of residence, he/she may come to this Consulate General, provided with the act in long form duly legalized by the “Apostille” and accompanied by an Italian translation, even self-written, to request the legalization of the latter and the declaration of conformity of the act. The act as such may then be directly delivered to the Italian municipality of residence (see art. 12, paragraph 11, Presidential Decree 396/2000).